Friday, April 6, 2012

Egyptian Revolution Part 1

I was on a school trip when the Egyptian Revolution began. I remember talking to some friends while in the Hauge, where my trip was, and everything seeming normal. The day we were set to return, however, riots escalated and the police were forced off the street. We were forced to stay in an airport hotel, as the flight to Cairo was cancelled. The next day we returned  to an eerie sight. We were greeted at the airport by our vice-principal, who filled us in on what had been happening. The mobile phone service had been cut off, along with the internet. The streets were deserted, devoid of both police (which had been a permanent fixture on most street corners) and citizens. Riots had happened before, so nobody knew exactly what to expect, but most people assumed we would be back in school the next day. I was dropped off at school and walked the short two-block journey back to my apartment. I was literally the only person on those streets. When I got into my apartment my parents had fixed dinner, which I ate quickly and fell asleep. When I woke up it was night and I had a terrible headache brought on by a head cold. I remember not even being able to get off my bed because the pain was so overwhelming, and constantly having a bloody nose. School was indeed cancelled the next day, as the rioters downtown were still en masse, and accumulating more as the hours went by. The whole day consisted of phone calls to peoples houses, as everyone was either checking to see how their friends were, or simply bored from lack of cell phone service and internet. I spent the whole day sick, stuck on my couch watching movies and slipping in and out of sleep. That was the night when I started hearing gunfire.

1 comment:

  1. It must have really been strange to come back to your area and see absolutely no one on the streets. Seeing a place that is normally filled with people transform to a ghost town would definitely take a while to get used to. Without internet and phone service there was probably also a ton of tension and nervousness, especially for those who had family members elsewhere in the city and who were unsure of their safety. I am sure that you guys were probably talking for most of the day amongst your apartment neighbors trying to find out what each person knew about the whole situation. You really could not do much else as you were stranded in the confines of your apartment all day long.

    ReplyDelete